The history of Baška Voda is an important part of the history of the Makarska Riviera. The first traces of a settlement in the area date back to the early Bronze Age. In the area between Brest and Gradina Hill a settlement was established, ringed by a stone drywall.Makarska Riviera was greatly affected by constant raids carried out by barbarian tribes from the 4th to the 7th century, and ramparts were built intensively on Gradina. It is also fair to say that the building of the Adriatic Highway in more recent history has had a significant effect, as it has opened up the entire Makarska Riviera, including Baška Voda, to tourism.
2nd and 3rd centuries Baška Voda belonged to the Roman Empire – there are traces of a Roman village on Gradina Hill. The main village was probably located on the site of modern Baška Voda.
4th to 7th century raids by barbarian tribes (Visigoths, Huns, Ostrogoths, Avars and Slavs) on the Roman Empire led to intensive fortification on Gradina during the 5th and 6th centuries. The fort controlled sea traffic in the Brač Channel.
7th century arrival of the Croats. The villagers moved from Gradina Hill to the foot of Biokovo.
1750 St. Lovro’s Church was built, the first public building in the area of modern Baška Voda.
1889 St. Nikola’s Church was built. When the threat of piracy receded, the villagers returned to the shore and started to build modern Baška Voda.
1912 the dock was built. Baška Voda became the most important harbour in the area and the focus of intense trading between the islands and the mainland Biokovo region.
1933 the Society for Improvement was founded.
1968 the Adriatic Highway was built and tourism began to develop rapidly.